Friday, January 29, 2010

Space Navigator Mouse - New Toy

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

Ever since I first heard about it at the Super Modelers conference in Boulder, I have been dying to try one - 3D Connexion's Space Navigator Mouse. It came in the other day and it did not disappoint.

About the size and weight of a good old style paper weight (remember when they said computers would make paper go away), it is a device you use in conjunction with your conventional mouse to enhance onscreen movement. There are various models to chose from - I chose to start with the Space Navigator because it is the simplest and least expensive (my Scottish heritage).

Bought it online (is there any other way), shipped direct to my door (I know I payed, but thanks UPS - "our" driver is a great guy). It is designed to turn your mouse operation into a two handed event. You do need to dedicate a USB connection to it (think the more expensive Notebook one might be wireless).

Takes a little bit to get the feel - you can vary the settings. tried it out in Google Earth - very fluid, precise. Looking forward to doing some screen capture animations (come fly with me). Supposed to able to use with SketchUp as well -  there are various drivers/plug ins.

Got to try it in SketchUp now (working on a model of Washington's headquarters at Valley Forge.

Make it a good day.

Postscript - when I tried navigator with SketchUp Pro in Mac - ended up needing to download the latest driver from the website to make it run - one they sent on disk with the mouse did not work. Everything cool now. Very nice capabilities.




No comments:

Post a Comment