Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Google Geek - Google Parent


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

Spent 3 hours yesterday evening at my daughter's  middle school demonstrating Google Earth and SketchUp. I was there to help out a volunteer parent group that is trying to raise awareness about an upcoming school bond issue. I did models of the existing school, created a Google Site to help with web info distribution, and posted interactive maps in Google Maps and Google Earth at the web site.

I was the "eye candy" to attract people over to talk about the bond. Went well. For me it was the first time I had the opportunity to get feedback from middle school age kids (and younger). Had my computer hooked to large entrance area monitor, with splitter to a table top monitor next to me. Was positioned so I could see all that were signing in for conferences - watch their eyes/reactions. Quite a number were fascinated, some had never seen, everybody was amazed it was free.

For me it was good feedback to know that this is still new to many people. Also interesting to witness firsthand the generational switch/gap in technological usage/familiarity. In addition, I had a great time sharing/talking - real ice breaker ("Want to see your place in Google Earth?")

Got to take my daughter to school. Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment