Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Google Sites and Google Gadgets


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

Working with a local volunteer group to help raise public awareness of the issues behind the local school bond that comes up for vote in February. Went to the organizational meeting and saw that the superintendent's  powerpoint presentation did not have one map in it.  It was the lynchpin of his communication effort and it was not available online.

I set up a Google Site with information about the school district and the bond effort. I posted the superintendent's powerpoint there (turned it into a Google Presentation - all I had to do was "import" the powerpoint file into Google Docs - then just "Inserted" it). Did same thing with .pdf that the volunteer committee put together to address various issues.

Addressed the mapping issue by using Google Gadgets for Google Earth and Google Maps. Very easy - "Insert" - "Maps" or "My Maps" (created content in Google Earth then imported as a .kmz file to "My Maps). Used "File Cabinet" feature of Google Sites to Upload .kmz for use with Google Earth Gadget  (had to be inserted via url).  Check them out. Will be talking with the school board about it tonight - wish me luck.

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment