Thursday, December 17, 2009

GMail - GMail Notifier


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

We drop our daughter at school (8th grade) and pick her up. She could take the bus, but this process gives her a bit more time, and us a bit of one on one time with her (20 minutes). I do the lion's share of it because of my wife's work schedule.

Sometimes Shaelyn and I talk about computers (she is a Mac user, I use both Mac and PC) or the internet  (we are both Google users). My last blog was info supplied by my "cub reporter", this is a follow up.

We were riding, she was checking her I phone, and told me that Jill's email was up/online but she was inactive (orange icon on Google Talk). I told her that I leave my email account open/internet on while I am working so that I know if I get an email. She piped up that she doesn't need to do that  because she has GMail Notifier. I asked her if it was a setting. She told me you have to download it. She found out about it in Gmail Help.

Once installed, when you are on the computer, but off line,  it will check for new messages about every two minutes. It will show you a snippet from up to 30 unread messages and make a sound to alert you of new mail.

Checked it out this morning - it's a beta. Will give it a try.

Thanks Shaelyn (don't forget to brush your teeth).

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment