Thursday, December 10, 2009

Google - Fair or Foul Weather


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

It is cold out. How cold? The weather gadget at my IGoogle page says it is 8 F. (You do the conversion to Celsius - at my age it is still cold).

I am a "gear" head (as in outdoor clothing) and weather channel type. Spent many years working out in the weather, all times of year - golf course construction. My idea of a good recreation adventure always has a chance of bad weather. Google has helped me break my weather channel habit. Now I get it on my terms/timetable/area of interest.

In addition to the gadget at my IGoogle page, I love the Weather layers on Google Earth. I can get "Conditions and Forecasts" for many areas, turn on "Clouds" (there is an animation feature - see "Information"), and track storms on "Radar". Click on the "Information" entry by the weather layer to find out more about whwere the data comes from. Currently they also have a layer on the 2009 Hurricane season (in case you are a storm chaser type). For kicks I sometimes use the Webcam.travel layer in the "Gallery" section to see what is currently going on. You can also get/download a few custom tools.

Well, time to get out into it. Make it a good day. Stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment