Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Google Geek - The Google Girl Effect


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

Got an interesting email yesterday. From a young woman named Jill Golick about a sneaky way she is using to get young girls, like my daughter, interested in web technology - Hailey Hacks. It is an area of interest of mine because I have a great Mom (dove into the computer/web at 78), I am married to a great lady (still has trouble getting her messages from a cell phone - but has a degree in instructional systems), a daughter that is a budding tech wiz, and a sister that is an expert in the field of women's education.

I checked out a couple of the videos and some of Jill's background bio (my daughter - who is also my I Phone mentor -  loves creative writing). I sent her a link to GirlEffect.org  - something my sister brought to my attention.

Was in the one of the first classes at Princeton (surprised huh?) to be fully coed, and the "girls" have been kicking my butt ever since. Am a slow learner (but steady), but good listener (my wife disagrees). Have benefitted immensely from women in my life, but realize that while this is the common situation with most "good men", the code never allows us to reveal it.

So what does this have to do with Google? Was totally impressed by the number and caliber of women I met that were working for Google at SketchUp when I visited their Boulder offices in August. I would bet this is the case company wide. Also have been a long time fan of the creator  of Google Earth Outreach - a woman named Rebecca Moore.

Well, got to go clean up the kitchen. Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment