Friday, October 16, 2009

Google Geek - On the Road Again


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.


On the road again. Heading home after giving a presentation at a conference - GIS (Geographic Information Science) users (proprietary software - ESRI). Interesting group - passion for their profession - reminded me of my years with the golf course superintendents. Just like the golf industry, GIS sector is changing - everything is migrating to the web. Hence, my presentation on Google Earth.

Since I was the last presentation of the day - also several rooms - I was the only thing keeping these people from cocktail hour. The theme of the conference was doing more with less. Started off by showing them the free Google Maps API the conference website had used to give attendees directions - only I showed them all the "bells and whistles" - Streetview, Panramio, Wikipedia, Web Cam.

Then I walked them through some of my Google Earth kml content. Explaining how I use various Google tools to host, organize and maintain the data. Monitor it all with Google Analytics. Trying to make a couple points.

First its free. Second it is fun. Third, they should find a way to share their information with the general public via Google Earth.

Third time I have presented at these conferences, always a mixed response. Always a few that agree, already know about it, very enthusiastic about the possibilities.  Always a few very interested, have heard about it, want to know more. There are the silent types.  Then, usually a few detractors - quite a bit invested in the current technology and thought pattern (cannot trust the public with the data). Always reminds me of watching Al Gore describe his early days on the road in "Inconvenient Truth".

It's a challenge, but it is fun.

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment