Friday, October 2, 2009

The Rewards of Google Geekdom


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.


I like to say that I always wanted to get good enough on the computer so that I did not have to spend much time on one. The corollary to that is that if you get good enough at doing something on the computer that interests enough other people you might get an opportunity to do something you like - that is not on the computer.

Top of the list in that regard was my trip to Super Modelers Conference in Boulder, Colorado. I checked out Boulder's unique downtown area in the off hours, walked/hiked up into their foothills park on Sunday, met a bunch of new and interesting people.

Today I am headed to Soap Lake, WA., to give a presentation to the Ice Age Flood Institute of a couple of custom kml pieces I have posted to the Google Earth Gallery. On the way over this morning, will play golf at in Harrington, WA (you have to go there, to get there) at a beautiful 9 hole golf course - "one of Washington's best kept golfing secrets". I did a 3D model of the Harrington Opera House a couple years back.

I do these things for free (admit it would be nice to tell my wife I got paid for it). Just like Google lets me use the tools to do this for free. Help raise awareness about various issues in a new manner that reaches a wide audience.

For me, I get to ride through some pretty countryside today, play some golf, and meet some new people. Three things I love to do.

Thanks Google.

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment