Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Again, What's This All About?

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ahcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

This past weekend I saw the movie "Julie and Julia" - I loved it. When she decides to start blogging she sets out the goal or task she is attempting - to cook her way through Julia Child's famous cookbook in a year - 500 plus recipes in 365 days. So what is my goal?

To improve my keyboard skills - ok, lets aim a bit higher. On a personal note - I have always wanted to get good enough on a computer so that I don't have to spend much time on one (hence, better typing skills). Because the Google products I have tried so far have opened up a world of possibilities for me (on the web, not economically yet) - I want to see what the rest of their products have to offer me (us?). So ...how big a task is it?

Wikipedia (I googled "How many Google products are there?") indicates a couple pages - too early in the morning to count. Here's the catch it keeps growing. So it will take a bit of time.
Unlike Julie Powell, I do not think I will set a timeframe - yet. I am older and want to enjoy the journey - I have found that in life, pace plays a key role.

A second goal involves encouraging anyone who is a late bloomer/late comer to the internet to join in the fun. To encourage you/anyone to use it as a tool, not just a toy (chewing gum for the eyeballs). My guess is that while all of us are different, there is probably a Google offering that might appeal to any of us (let's look past the searchbox).

With that thought in mind, I am going to look at a Google Tool I saw yesterday - Google Translate. I made a new friend from Brazil (Eloi - loves SketchUp like me) - want to see if I can read his blog with this tool. More later.

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment