Sunday, August 16, 2009

Why Google?

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

Why Google? I started using computers later in life - lets just say that when I was in college, Bill Gates was still in Harvard. It was "preinternet", but I had a desire to use computers for a specific purpose - 3D visualization. However, my goal was to get good enough on a computer so that I did not have to spend much time on one.

I stumbled along on my own (translates to bought a computer, got help from friends setting it up, and started teaching myself). Slow going. Over time I realized there had to be a better way (good friend, knowledgeable with computers had a "heart to heart" with me - thanks Bill) so I went to a local university and started taking some classes (in GIS - geographic information science).

It was better, but still not fast enough (remember I am 56 years old). However, now we were in the internet/Google age. Pay attention - Light bulb moment was when a professor (thanks Dr. Warren) was helping me, and she cut and pasted an error message into Google's search window.

At that moment my relationship with a computer changed. Now I had a source (a virtual online friend/geek or community of geeks) to help me with my computer problems. In addition, thanks to the beauty of "cut and paste", I could procrastinate on my need to learn to type.

There are a few more good reasons (very good reasons) why Google, but more on that later - need to start looking at the keyboard).

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment