Saturday, August 22, 2009

SketchUp - My Google Passion

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

I guess everybody has their own relationship with Google based on their needs or interests. Mine initially revolved around my interest in real world 3D visualization - building a 3D model of the real world for people to use on the web. I was excited about Google Earth, because it meant that Google was also interested in doing it. The fact that Google had also developed (well bought) SketchUp meant that I could help.

SketchUp is a free 3D modeling software that can be used to model anything for viewing in 3D on a computer. It integrates seamlessly with Google Earth. Like Google Earth, it functions fine on either a Mac or PC (I run on both). For the ambitious (Google makes you work for this) who like to look at their house in Google Earth (mainly 2D at the moment, except for terrain), SketchUp allows you to build a scaled 3D version and put it into Google Earth (check on "3D Buildings" Layer in GE). I had been working with some modeling software and CAD before so I took right to it. Anything I was puzzled by I could find answers to on the web - help, users forums, video tutorials, etc.

After modelling my home (the Funny Farm), I used it to model my college campus (with some help), the town it is in, and various historic structures from my travels. In addition to doing the model, when I posted it to Google's "3D Warehouse", I was able to add additional info and web links - including a logo link to a pertinent website (helping to raise awareness for historic preservation/local culture and history). My wife and daughter wondered about all this until a few weeks ago when Google came to my rescue.

Out of the blue I was invited to the SketchUp "Super Modelers" conference at Google's Boulder offfice. Great time. Still pinching myself. The contact I had with other modelers and Google people only reinforced my interest in exploring other Google offerings.

Time for weekend chores. Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment