Sunday, August 23, 2009

One Google Thing Leads to Another

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

One Google thing leads to another.

Once I got the hang of SketchUp, I was anxious to see if I could produce a model that was good enough to make it into Google Earth's "3D Buildings Layer". This get's at the heart of the Google experience for me - participation (Jeff Jarvis also talks about "collaboration"). Google is not only trying to "organize the world", but it wants to let us help by making it possible (and easy) to put content that is interesting and important to us up on the web.

In the case of SketchUp, this means "sharing" the model via the "3D Warehouse". Google does all the heavy lifting in this process. It supplies the server space, provides the template "fill in the blank" submission form, handles the review process (makes allowances for future edits), and provides a tool bar button to initiate the whole process. Furthermore, if your model makes it to the "3D Buildings" layer - it has a hotlink to your detail page (and possibly you).

This tends to be the case with many Google products. They make producing web content (take your pick of venue as we shall see) easy, almost fun. In adddition, their products have a seemingly incestuous relationship with each other - often allowing you to post to a number of viewing spots on the web. In my case - once I proved I could do it (my first model) I was eager to do it again, and experiment with trying to post content in other Google offerings.

One Google thing leads to another.

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment