Friday, September 4, 2009

Google Maps - Where It's At

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ahcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

I have always been a road warrior, a devotee of Rand McNally maps.

Until I got my new IPhone which came with Google Maps.

Great stuff. On a recent cross country trip I used my phone and computer to keep us on course/schedule. At night I would research the next days activities on Google Earth and Google Maps. During the day I would track our progress, calculate our drive time/distance via Google Maps on the IPhone. It even had a GPS tracking unit that followed our vehicle.

I could "search" for various things on the fly - ie coffee, ATM's. Get directions "to there"/"from here". Use Street View to check out an area ahead of time. I could also save places with related content. I could archive items into various folders, and email if necessary. Could even post online for others to use.

Because of my overall interest in the web and some training in GIS (geographic information science) I should also point out that Google Maps has an API that can be embedded in a website to handle a particular site related purpose (same is true of Google Earth). Google Gadgets allows you to incorporate them into a Google Site.

Should also point out that my daughter (age 13 - no interest in road maps) found it interesting - hey it is technology - and actually helped with trip navigation when I was driving. She still found me boring.

Well got to go. Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment