Monday, September 7, 2009

Layout - Powerpoint on Steroids

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
ahcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz


My name is Ron Hall.
I live at the Funny Farm.

Happy Labor Day. Up early, as usual, to get the most out of my day. I try and carve "my portion" of the day - things I like to do - out early. Makes it easier to deal with the daily curve balls life sends you.

Actually, "working" today. Good news it is something I enjoy - tweaking my experience with a piece of software - Google's "Layout". Good news is I get paid for it - if I get the project done.

Layout is part of Google's SketchUp Pro (Google charges you for this one - but it is worth it) package. It is Powerpoint on steriods. It allows you to use 3D interaction within a Powerpoint like frame work. While it is aimed at professionals like contractors, architects, designers, etc. that use 3D models in their work/demonstrations. I think Google could showcase this to many other applications. Unless you want to pay for it - you will have to take my word for it.

Why?

Trust me.

Big concept here. See more about this in the tail end of Jeff Jarvis's book "What Would Google Do?". Got into 3D modeling awhile back. Let's just say I really got into it. To the point my wife wondered about my priorities. But...... once again Google bailed me out.

In July, I got an email from Google - thought someone was playing a prank. Google sent me an invitation to a conference at their Boulder office - at their expense. In August, I was Google's guest for a 2 days. I was one of 20 "Super" modelers flown in from around the world (Great Britain, Germany, Belgium, Poland, Spain, Argentina , Brazil, Canada) to give Google's SketchUp software people feedback on their product. Note: I have several "collections" of buildings , but they chose to showcase Cheney, the small town that is my home. Was quite an honor and a lot of fun. Made new friends from around the world and at Google.

It was a life time experience that never would have happened if not for two things -
  1. Google created something of value/interest for me to try and use.
  2. I used it (not just tried it - used it). Like the "list" button in Blogspot I just tried.

Point is, it is Labor Day - our day. Give something new a try - within the bounds of reason.

Trust me.

Make it a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment